the Alchemy of Soulful Work has moved...
Visit my new home at http://imaginactive.typepad.com/alchemyofsoulfulwork

Thursday, March 03, 2005

 

Happy (Belated) Birthday Dr. Seuss

I really meant to write yesterday evening, but life sort of got in the way. Anyway, for those of you who have kiddies, teach kiddies, or are just a big kiddie yourself, you probably know that yesterday (March 2) was Dr. Seuss's birthday. In honor of this brilliantly whimsical man, the Bailey girls and I read some of our favorites: The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, and There's a Wocket in My Pocket (unfortunately, we couldn't find Hop On Pop). Not too long, we'll introduce them to Oh, The Places You'll Go.

Earlier, we found Seussvile which is a neat website with games, interactive stories, and all kinds of other fun stuff (I'm kind of partial to Catch a Thing).

I have to admit that I don't know that much about Theodor Geisel and his biography on the site is a hoot. It seems he was destined to be Dr. Seuss. In his early years, his mother worked at her father's bakery and would memorize the names of the pies on special each day and then chant them to customers. If young Ted ever had difficulty falling asleep, his mother would do her pie chants. He later credited her "for the rhythms in which I write and the urgency with which I do it." I think I'll make learning more about him a higher priority.

And did you know this? One of Dr. Seuss's publishers made him a bet that he couldn't write a book using 50 words or less. Well, he did. Can you guess which book it is?

Green Eggs and Ham!

We're all fortunate to have had Dr. Seuss in our world. What a creative, playful soul.


Categories: c.Books; c.Play


<< Home

Archives

September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?