the Alchemy of Soulful Work has moved...
Visit my new home at http://imaginactive.typepad.com/alchemyofsoulfulwork

Saturday, December 11, 2004

 

Reclaiming our Creativity

Odd how themes emerge when you're conscious of them. I came across this old article in Fast Company on Dee Hock and his management principles. Dee Hock was the Founder and CEO of VISA International and more recently founded Terra Civitas. Among the ideas that caught my eye was this one on creativity:
The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a room packed with archaic furniture. You must get the old furniture of what you know, think, and believe out before anything new can get in. Make an empty space in any corner of your mind, and creativity will instantly fill it.
I'm also thinking about how many of us tend to "lose" our creativity as we mature into adults. I have two daughters (ages 2 and almost 6) and they amaze me with some of the things that they conjure up. They tell the most interesting stories. They draw these fabulous pictures. They dress up and pretend to be fascinating creatures. And fortunately, they pull me into their world. They are my links to the creative reservoir within me. However, I'm considering the very real possibility that its going to be me who will need to return the favor in the not too distant future. They may need me to inspire their own sense of wonder and creativity. Sadly, there's something about our schools that can help children forget they are creative, imaginitive people. Or it could just be a natural struggle of growing up.

So, to all the creative and imaginative dreamers out there...here's a heart-felt desire to more fully reconnect with you.


Categories: c.Creativity; c.Parenting


<< Home

Archives

September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?